Saturday, December 18, 2010

Humble Pie


This was the week of my personal comeuppance. I had predicted that the Bush tax cuts (sic) would not be extended. I was happily wrong. My reasoning, I thought, was solid: Democrats still held a majority and they would never capitulate to yet another signature issue from the hated Bush administration. There was a lot of grousing, to be sure. But, in the end, it marked a defeat for the Left that I had not foreseen. Also, I had consistently written that the Left actually wants the economy to fail. This may still be true, but I now concede that Obama may not be playing on that particular team.

It may turn out to be a pyrrhic victory. If the economy does not improve - and, God knows, we’ve saddled the poor thing with so many sinkers - the Left will blame these tax cuts (sic) once again. The template of blame is already pretty much set in stone: if a policy doesn’t work, it’s never wrong; there just wasn’t enough of it. In this way, no side is ever wrong. Whereas it was clear sailing for Republicans for the first two years of Obama’s term (because they had effectively been shut out), now they will have a stake in what happens. They share accountibility no matter what.

I still say that it appears that Democrats have the political side of it much more in hand than Republicans do. Republicans always seem to be in the position of fighting back. Rightly or wrongly, they have been feminized by the media and portrayed as weak, irrational and whining.

Still, Republican wins last week point to the fact that even in countries where women appear most oppressed, it is said it is they who essentially for run the house.

http://pkoelliker.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment