Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Missing Piece


I was 10 years old. I had just arrived in America when my father took me to New York to see “The Alamo”. In those days, the price of a ticket also bought a full color magazine that showed scenes from the movie. I was excited because one of the actors was Richard Boone, my absolute favorite, star of the TV series “Have Gun, Will Travel” (about a gun slinger who never lost fight). I remember being somewhat disappointed because Boone only played a minor part. Nevertheless, after that occasion, I added John Wayne to my list of favorites.

Eventually I would come to realize that all men - especially actors - are in the business of spinning illusions. I do not fault them. Both Boone and Wayne suffered quite human deaths. I still value the illusions they created.

Today, I‘m more inclined to place my bets on honesty. I don’t agree with JB that Obama has no “grit. No bottom. No sand. No…substance.” He has substance alright. He’s been able to accomplish more in two short years to change our country than any other (peacetime) president, certainly within my lifetime. Obama’s missing piece is honesty. And it is that which (to me) renders everything he does utterly suspect.

http://pkoelliker.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment