Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dutch Disease


In economic parlance there are no less than three terms that describe essentially the same condition: "Resource Curse", "Paradox of Plenty" and "Dutch Disease". All these refer to unstable or failed states that, at the same time, can claim to have a wealth of natural resources. The theory goes, that their natural resources are precisely the reason for the failure of such states; that the resources themselves have made these states the targets of exploitation by foreign interests and, to a lesser extent, of corruption domestically. Obvious examples of states suffering from “Dutch Disease” are liberally spread throughout the Middle East, Africa and South America.

The easiest to scapegoat is always the foreigner. In fact, it has almost become obligatory to blame foreigners for any and all domestic difficulties. Foreigners must also meet certain standards of worthiness; that is to say, they must demonstrate sufficiently deep pockets to justify the bother and risk involved in pursuing the protocol of extortion. Foreigners must also exhibit enough sensitivity to be open to severe introspection as to be able to arrive at the entirely narcissistic conclusion that all that has ever happened is one’s own fault.

Future colonizers, exploiters, human and arms traffickers, in order to excel in their chosen craft, will have learned to avoid the pitfalls of circular thinking. They will pick a point along the proverbial arc and stick with it. They will know that the point they picked represents nothing more or less than the position most advantageous to themselves. Thus they will have fully understood the adage, “Take care of yourself (first) and all else will take care of itself.”

Grayson is an oaf who, along with his Democrat colleagues, is also about to squander the precious resource of political power. Predictably, he and the others will blame everyone but themselves. Republicans will have to avoid the illusion of the “big tent” and come to terms with the fact that their fine feathered friends in the press, academe and Hollywood will have to suffer the elements while the work of putting our nation back together proceeds in earnest inside.

7 comments:

  1. I am not sure about the GOP and Grayson, as it doesn't follow 100%, but China is the next big "colonial power" in the third world. and it won't be a two way street in a positive way at least.

    I prefer to take something along the lines of Glenn Becks tack...The GOP has some distance to fall yet. They are co-opting the tea party movement and if they get their way, destroy it while winning in the short term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possible. The problem is, we don't have much time left. Things are coming to a head. Read my comment about Batchelor's characterization of Newt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do. I've been away from John's site for a couple reasons: One, I can't know if my posts will post, and two, I don't listen to him as often as WABC changed to some guy named Mcintyre after his show from Coast To Coast AM. I don't like Mcintyre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your post and replied, but it said it has to be approved by the moderator, which means I won't see it. Nor will you. Here is what I said:

    I understand where John is coming from on this one. It's like weekend at bernies, wheeling the corpse around. Newt's time has passed and to be honest, I am not sure he's right. Honestly, I think it would be better for the Tea Party to emerge as a replacement for the GOP, but alas, we'll get a repeat of 2000 and the Tea Party will be co-opted and thrown under the bus when it is convenient like the socons. The GOP is the Whigs right now. IS the narrative we are the ones to save america? It's a little hubristic at this point. How about I've got better ideas and this is why they will work. I'd like to see and read John's appraisal of Beck's ending keynote. I thought it was very good. The comparison to the depression of 1920 and 1930 was excellent, as was the description of the statue of liberty. Glenn knows his history, as does JB.

    As far as Palin goes, while she has more executive experience than Obama, she's still not there yet and I tend to distrust people who try to appeal to me on charisma rather than reason. I get the same feeling with politicians as I do with car salesmen. So, what I am saying is that she's as much a product of the cult of personality as Obama, except she's on our side. It's ain't good enough for me. What say you Mr. JB?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at this point I have to think I am censured. When I submitted to the newt article I received a message that it went to a moderator for approval. My guess is that someone is not approving my posts to those side posts for whatever reason. I have sent to emails asking about it to no effect. Oh well. I guess I am not JBs cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it's personal, Jim. JB has several e-mail addresses, some of which he does not respond to. I suggest you contact Nick Grace, the site administrator. He's always been prompt in addressing my own concerns. He can be reached at: nickrgrace@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip. You've saved me from my own paranoia and it is fixed. Thank you peter.

    ReplyDelete