Friday, October 1, 2010

It Works!!! (a true story)




The following is a a reprise of a previous posting (2009):

Dateline: Summit, NJ; USA

Many years ago I read a whole series of books by Carlos Castaneda. At the time, I practically devoured them, finding them irresistible and compelling. I don’t remember much about them now. But one particular passage has always remained with me. It’s where Don Juan explains that if one looks down at the palms of one’s hands while dreaming, one can morph into a crow and fly to wherever one wants.

I tried it for a time but soon concluded it was impossible. I gave up and never thought about it again, until today …when it happened.

I had gone to lie down after lunch with the radio on. I fell asleep and started to dream. I dreamt I was in India at our apartment there. My wife was at work. The only other person in the house was her mother. I decided to go out for a walk. Outside, there were five roads leading in different directions. I chose to follow the railroad tracks.

It was a gorgeous day and I was enjoying the Indian scenery immensely. I had taken my iPod along and was listening to Rush. Eventually, the tracks ended but the track bed continued.

I walked on, and came to a stone church at another crossroads. The doors were open and there were people inside. I wanted to enter as well but stopped myself, thinking the sound from my iPod was way too loud. I tried desperately to turn it off, but none of the controls worked. So I walked around the outside of the church trying to figure out which way I had come.

It suddenly occurred to me that the reason I couldn't turn my iPod off was because I was dreaming. I remembered what Carlos Castaneda had said about looking at one’s hands. I looked down at my palms, and immediately took off like a rocket. I was not afraid. Up, up, up, I went, floating high above the earth. It was tremendous! I had perfect vision and clarity of mind. My body tingled all over. I was simply bursting with unbridled joy.

Then I remembered the second part of the exercise. I decided to fly to America to visit my mother.

Next, I heard the tea pot whistle. I was fully awake. My mother was downstairs, making tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment