Monday, November 15, 2010

Trick or Treat


My computer broke again. Accessing anything on the internet - never mind posting - has become a chore. I’m strangely resigned to it. In some ways I feel liberated. I still read the paper first thing in the morning. Nothing much changes from day to day – only the emphasis shifts.

The current fight is between spending and not spending; pumping more paper into the economy or cutting back. There are good arguments for both sides. You know where I stand. Actually, I’m no longer quite so sure anymore. I think we may go down either way. Look at France.

The only question remaining is when. Whoever happens to be in charge at the time gets the blame. There’s evidence now to suggest that that’s what is being finessed right now – as in a chess game where the thinking is several moves ahead. Say, if Republicans are in charge when the dam bursts, they will be made scapegoats for generations to come …and vice versa.

Still, I think it’s a raw deal. If anyone out there knows what’s coming, they should be telling us to break out the life rafts. So far, anything anybody is saying smacks of a solution. The snake oil salesmen of the old West knew the same trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment