Friday, August 14, 2009

Lapses in Logic: sowing dissent


Back when I was working as purchasing agent for a small NJ firm, I was charged with purchasing a dozen new PC’s for the company. My boss asked me to contact a man who had PC’s in stock and was selling them at a huge discount. Further investigation revealed that the computers in question had essentially ‘fallen off a truck’.

I subsequently wrote a letter to a higher boss detailing my concerns. I did not want to be implicated in something that appeared clearly shady in the event it should ever come to light.

My (higher) boss called me into his office and closed the door. He thanked me. I was told that I would remain out of the loop re this particular the purchase; that he would handle it personally. Additionally, he took out my letter and ripped it up. He said that it’s best not to put such things in writing as words tend to assume a life of their own. It was then I came to understand the importance of reading ‘the fine print’.

Curiously, our elected representatives seem not to have learned this lesson yet (or, perhaps, they have learned it too well). They’re expecting us to endorse the passage of a thousand-plus page comprehensive health care bill which will affect every one of us (except members of Congress themselves) without anyone having read it, or intending to read it, not knowing what it says and (as I understand it), which, in large part, has not even been written yet. It reminds me of how Democrats view the Constitution as a living, breathing; constantly evolving document to be amended, changed and ignored at will to suit every purpose.

Such shenanigans opens the way to innumerable contradictions which, in turn, lead to conflict that can be easily exploited to justify introducing additional (non)binding clauses. This is how Chavez runs his shop. Already, it has come to light that our representatives are lying outright when they try to reassure us that no one will be left out of the scheme; that the aged will receive the care they’ve come to expect under the old system; that no one will have to pay more; and that the system will be administered fairly and efficiently. The ‘cash-for-clunkers’ deal has already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Obama-controlled Congress lacks the expertise to efficiently manage even the most pedestrian enterprise.

Words do have meaning, as does a failure to convey. There’s plenty of both coming out of this administration. On the Democrat side, it’s no longer about health care. It’s gone way beyond that. It’s about sowing dissent – dividing the populace along ideological lines. Those of us who’ve connected the dots are now forced consider overall intent in an effort to reconcile lapses in logic. …and we don’t like how it smells.

No comments:

Post a Comment